It’s mid-February 2021 and Probus Construction, based in Bourne, Lincolnshire is approaching financial year-end. The directors have made public the company’s continuing achievements in substantially increasing both its annual turnover and its profit levels since its formation in 2017 – and as set out in the company’s five-year plan.
In the Autumn of 2019 Steve Ellis, Probus’ Managing Director invited Geoff to come on board part-time in a Business Development role.
Steve and Geoff agreed GMS would:-
- Concentrate mainly on introducing new clients and consultants to Probus……
- Whilst ensuring sure their existing contacts were made fully aware of the company’s full range of capabilities.
Very soon after starting with Probus it was further agreed that Geoff would commence the process of producing consistent looking company literature. This initial tranche of literature consisted of:-
- A suite of individual Probus project case studies which is now added to each time the company is awarded a commission,
- An Education Sector “Mini-brochure”,
- A Probus tender submission document “template” in corporate colours and which can be tailored to the project being tendered.
Examples of Projects Awarded to Probus During This Time
- £1m+ new College Sixth Form block,
- £1m conversion of three storey offices into 6 private apartments in Peterborough City Centre,
- A new standalone After Schools Club,
- Conversion of disused GP’s surgery into residential,
- New additional consulting rooms to a live GP surgery,Holiday shutdown alterations to schools in Wellingborough, Cambridge, Wisbech and Sleaford,
- Major extension to a Local Authority Sports Facility,
Additionally we have been told we are in pole position on major projects in both the Retail and Industrial sectors.
GMS and Probus Construction Limited
Since 2015 Geoff and Steve Ellis had met up regularly at the Peterborough Construction Networking lunches when Steve was Commercial Director of Lindum Group.
Late in 2018, once Steve had got Probus up and running in earnest he asked Geoff if he’d like to come up with a plan as to how GMS might help Probus grow in line with the company’s stated ambitions. GMS’ business development responsibilities at that time were to S.A.C. Construction in Corby but at the start of 2019 S.A.C. were busy enough to not need the services of a freelance BDM so later that year Geoff joined Steve and his small team at Probus.