GMS Business Development has recently completed a 14 month commission to assist the Contracting and Consultancy subsidiaries of Newbury based Helix Group in securing places on numerous Frameworks.
In Autumn 2019 I was invited to contact Helix’s joint managing director Nic Davies to meet up and explore how GMS might contribute to the Group’s highly ambitious business goal of becoming an approved supplier on 20 no. new frameworks by the end of 2020. They also had the joint goal of these frameworks being predominately, but not exclusively, for affordable housing.
Nic and I discussed how these goals might be achieved and we agreed:-
- GMS would attack the first 2 or 3 applications on fixed three day commission,
- Thereafter GMS would be employed a regular two days per week at a fixed daily rate,
- This arrangement would allow GMS to additionally become involved in the quality submissions of project specific tenders,
- A rigorous joint examination of each opportunity would determine if we should “Go For It”,
- Geoff would make contact with the consultants involved with these frameworks and tenders if I had dealt them with previously.
Examples of a Successful Helix Framework Applications
From then until September this year, from a mixture of published notices and suggestions from contacts, and taking into consideration Helix’s capabilities:-
– We had identified 34 no. live frameworks,
– We had identified 15 no. “Open Tenders”,
– Affordable Housing, Defence & Health,
– We had discounted about half of these,
– The Group was on 11 no. new Frameworks,
– Helix has commenced 2 no. specific projects,
– 6 no. submissions were awaiting results,
Additionally there were 5 no. live applications at the “Being Written” stage.
These frameworks and projects covered:-
Construction, Project Management, Cost Consulting.
GMS and Helix Group
Geoff and GMS Business Development were introduced to Helix’s Nic Davies in the Autumn of 2019 by Barry Neale alongside whom Geoff had worked at SDC Builders Ltd and Nic had worked at Willmott Dixon.
The amount of time now needed to “service” the frameworks is obviously extensive and it is now commercially sensible to extend the bid writing role to do this as well as combining it with the promulgation of Helix “2020 Style” into a full-time BDM post which my other commitments precluded. I wish Helix and Jayne every success with this.
GMS would be delighted to hear from you.
Even it’s just to extract some tips from Geoff’s 30 years of Bid Writing and Business Development.